UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

can a british citizen travel to europe without a passport

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time

Although the UK is part of the European Union (EU), you still need to carry a full British passport every time you travel to Europe. This includes day trips and travel by Eurostar. For adults this means carrying a ten-year adult passport; for children a five-year child passport unless they are included on a parent's passport. Many countries no longer check passports at their land borders, but they still expect visitors to carry a valid form of ID. For UK travelers this is a British passport. And remember, you will need to show your passport at immigration control when you return to the UK.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly leave positive feedback so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards