How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK citizen. My partner is Lebanese and has been in the

This answer was rated:

I am a UK citizen. My partner is Lebanese and has been in the UK on a student visa while following a full time course. His visa is valid until 2014 - conditional on being enrolled in a full time course. We are forming a Civil Partnership later this month and then wish to change his visa to a partner visa to allow him to remain with me in the UK. We have already engaged legal help to process this new visa.

We are unsure of exactly what his status is while the process is ongoing. His visa states it is valid until 2014, but he has completed his studies and is not enrolled in a further course.

Is he legally resident here until the decision to grant ( or not grant) a discretionary leave to remain visa is completed?

Can he exit and re-enter the country (for a vacation) on the visa he currently has?
Thanks for your question .

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. When did he complete his studies
2. What academic level of studies did he just complete
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. He completed studies 29 June 2012 but has not yet received final grades or certificate.
2 it was Higher National Diploma. Level 5 or 6, need to check.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. He completed studies at the end of June 2012 but has not received his final grades or certificate yet. This will be in August.
2. His course was a level 5 Higher National Diploma (BTEC) in business studies.

I will answer at 9bst


Thanks for your patience.

If he only finished his course that recently then his status will remain unaffected for the time being.

If you form your civil partnership in this month then apply to switch to a spouse visa then this will also be permitted. The length of time that he has not been studying could not be taken as a breach of the immigration rules, particularly since he is still awaiting his results and won’t get these until August.

This being the case I would certainly suggest going to see a local solicitor to ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria in terms of being able to support/accommodate yourselves without the need to access public funds and that you meet the new salary threshold.

They will also be able to draft/prepare your application form (FLR(M)) and supporting documents so that the application is approved without the need to appeal any rejection.

I have assumed for the purpose of this answer that you as the UK based spouse are either a UK citizen or foreign national holding Indefinite Leave To Remain.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.