How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking for a lawyer who has experience with EUROPEAN Immigration

This answer was rated:

Looking for a lawyer who has experience with EUROPEAN Immigration law, I'm a European living and working in the UK wish to marry my Taiwanese partner whom I met 2 1/2 yrs ago, could we get married without a marriage visa and can she enter and we get married using her visafree entry, after we marry she would have to apply for an EEA family permit to come to live with me in the UK

Thanks for your question.

I would not really advise it. The visa waiver program is in place for foreign nationals wishing to come to the uk for a short (ie. less than 6 months) visit and then leave before the expiry of their visa, which is technically a visitor’s visa.

Whilst it is physically possible for her to come her under the VWP and marry you because there are no longer any restrictions on foreign nationals marrying in the UK, the UKBA can be difficult when people do so and then apply for a family permit thereafter.

It can usually be sorted out if one enters under the VWP, because you can argue that it would be disproportionate and unreasonable to expect he national to return home only to apply and be granted a family permit but you may be forced to appeal and incur legal fees. These legal fees may be more than it would cost for you to marry where she is in order for her to aply for a family permit straight away from Taiwan, not to mention the stress of if.

Instead I would advise you marrying in Taiwan, or elsewhere on and that she then applies for a family permit out of country.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My last reply before I rate your answer: To clarify, it is best she doesn't come on a 6 months visafree to get married as it may get complicated later when she applies for an EEA family permit- is this correct?. This is our 2nd marriage visa we are currently applying for-worried if it gets refused again- what then? (the first one was refused as my partner didn't show she had money in her account)-but we got it accepted on appeal. I'm a little confused why someone in UKBA said my partner could come into the UK under European law and she would be free to marry and it wouldn't be a problem because most of the EEA family permits will be granted. We do have all documentation to prove our relationship is genuine and I own my own home, work and will support her etc. I would rather marry in the UK

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, your first sentence is correct. In the ideal scenario you should be married outside the UK and apply for a family permit once married.

If she comes on a visitor's visa to marry you then she can probably apply and be succesful (probably on appeal) in getting a family permit thereafter, but you run the risk of the UKBA considering that her coming her under the VWP is a form of deception. This is particulaly the case if there are any other examples of deceptive behaviour. Usually, it can be sorted out where the person is plainly of good character but my personal view is that it is preferable to avoid the uncertainty.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.