UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

My name isXXXXXm an EU national (Italian) living and

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX an EU national (Italian) living and working in the UK, I do not have dual nationality. My partner is a non-EEA family member/non-visa national and is Taiwanese. I have lived in the UK for over 40 years and my partner studied in the UK for over 2 years, we have been in an ongoing relationship for 2 1/2 yrs.
We will be getting married in the UK this year. We want to do this using European law. Once we are married my partner needs to go back to Taiwan to apply for an EEA family permit.

I spoke the UK border Agency as my partner is a non-visa national she has the option where she could enter the UK as a visitor (visa-free) for 6 months instead of applying for a marriage visa as I am a European national. This is because once she enters the UK if she wishes to marry a European she could do so under European law. Also, if she comes in as a visitor, where it states on her visa-free that one of the conditions is that, you cannot marry when you stay in the UK, does not apply if we intend marrying under European rules. Obviously all the other conditions need to be met.

I wrote to UKBA european dept to confirm this but I am still awaiting their response.
I need to know whether I can marry my partner without requiring a marriage visa under European law. Please forward me some evidence so I can find out this information.

Thank You
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My partner does not have valid leave to remain she has only been here on a student visa, visafree for 6 months and recently on a marriage visa. She  worries because she applied for a marriage visa in Taiwan last November for 6 months because that's what they told her in Taiwan we needed but she came here 6 weeks before the visa ended and we didnt get time to get married. So we have applied again but someone at UKBA told me it wouldn;t be rececessary to apply for a marriage visa again as I could get married as a European under European law. I paid 750 pound for a barrister and they said I would need a further 826 for home office fees, for a marriage visa but was told this was unecessary. I need something in writing or find something on the internet to say she is allowed to come here under Humanr rights or under European law with a visafree and not a marriage visa. The visafree states you can visit the UK for 6 months but cannot get married but was told under European law she can. I need this info in writing/a link on the internet as evidence otherwise she wont risk coming here and I dont want to continue with this marriage visa application and pay unecessary fees Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!