John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor with 8 years experience

I am a California U.S. lawyer. I am moving to London and want

Customer Question

I am a California U.S. lawyer. I am moving to London and want to become a solicitor. I plan to obtain U.S. visas and green cards for the British and other europeans. How much money can I expect to make, if I practice alone?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  John Knox replied 4 years ago.

I will do my best to help you with this.

It is not easy over here at the moment, given the recession, and the answer is dependant on so many factors.

As you know, you need contacts to make a legal business work so it depends whether you have them or can build them whilst you are here.

Typically, lawyers in private practice earn anything from £25,000 to £1m at the top firms.

If you set up your own practice, that is extremely difficult because the competition is fierce but you could think about earning £30-40,000 in the first few years and if you are successful, perhaps in excess of £100,000 after 8 to 10 years of practice.

Expert:  John Knox replied 4 years ago.
Please remember to click *** SMILEY FACE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist

Thank you