Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a Mauritian Citizen, having lived here for the past 40

I am a Mauritian Citizen, having lived here for the past 40 years, with an Indefinite Stay Visa for the UK. I have run a Domiciliary Care Company, Care At Hand Limited, registered in England and Wales since 2005.

With our current expansion, I have had to seek Factoring Facilities from Bibby (UK) to ease our cash flow.

As part of our application, Bibby (UK) is asking me to have my passport certified by the Mauritian Embassy that it is a true copy of a Mauritian passport.

Could you please explain what is the procedure?

Similarly, my wife holds an Indian Passport with Indefinite Stay UK visa. As the Company Secretary, she has been asked to have her passport certified.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your question.

In order to process applications it is obviously necessary for people to establish their identities, if you are applying from outside the UK then you need to submit copies of your passports. Simple photocopies are generally not permitted because they can be easily manipulated.

Therefore it is necessary for the passports to be checked as true copies by the relevant embassies. However as some embassies are not very responsive it is acceptable for you to have your passports checked by a Notary who will take copies of your passports and verify them by checking them with your personally.

They will then execute a document which testifies that they have inspected your passport and can confirm it’s legitimacy and that they copy they attached to the executed document is a true copy. All pages will be stamped and then you will be passed the document to submit with your application.

You should do a phone book or google search for notaries where you are then contact one to explain your requirments. They will be able to attend to it quickly and the cost is not too prohibitive.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am applying from within the UK.

I had suggested verification of my passport by a Justice of the Peace or even a Notary.

However this was not accepted and they are insisting on the passport being certified by the relevant embassies.

They are not being particularly helpful by not replying

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

They're being pedantic in my opinion. This is the reasons we have lawyers/notaries.

In that case you really have no choice but to persist with pinning down the embassies by phone etc. They are not going to do anything that a notary or lawyer would do.

If you really can't get through then I suppose personal attendance at the embassy is the only option.

Sorry, I know this is not massively helpful but some things can't really be helped. I would try calling at different times of the day.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor