How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Mauritian Citizen, having lived here for the past 40

This answer was rated:

I am a Mauritian Citizen, having lived here for the past 40 years, with an Indefinite Stay Visa for the UK. I have run a Domiciliary Care Company, Care At Hand Limited, registered in England and Wales since 2005.

With our current expansion, I have had to seek Factoring Facilities from Bibby (UK) to ease our cash flow.

As part of our application, Bibby (UK) is asking me to have my passport certified by the Mauritian Embassy that it is a true copy of a Mauritian passport.

Could you please explain what is the procedure?

Similarly, my wife holds an Indian Passport with Indefinite Stay UK visa. As the Company Secretary, she has been asked to have her passport certified.

Thanks for your question.

In order to process applications it is obviously necessary for people to establish their identities, if you are applying from outside the UK then you need to submit copies of your passports. Simple photocopies are generally not permitted because they can be easily manipulated.

Therefore it is necessary for the passports to be checked as true copies by the relevant embassies. However as some embassies are not very responsive it is acceptable for you to have your passports checked by a Notary who will take copies of your passports and verify them by checking them with your personally.

They will then execute a document which testifies that they have inspected your passport and can confirm it’s legitimacy and that they copy they attached to the executed document is a true copy. All pages will be stamped and then you will be passed the document to submit with your application.

You should do a phone book or google search for notaries where you are then contact one to explain your requirments. They will be able to attend to it quickly and the cost is not too prohibitive.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am applying from within the UK.


I had suggested verification of my passport by a Justice of the Peace or even a Notary.


However this was not accepted and they are insisting on the passport being certified by the relevant embassies.


They are not being particularly helpful by not replying


They're being pedantic in my opinion. This is the reasons we have lawyers/notaries.

In that case you really have no choice but to persist with pinning down the embassies by phone etc. They are not going to do anything that a notary or lawyer would do.

If you really can't get through then I suppose personal attendance at the embassy is the only option.

Sorry, I know this is not massively helpful but some things can't really be helped. I would try calling at different times of the day.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.