UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

Good morning - my wife is a non-EEA family member of an EEA

Good morning - my wife is a non-EEA family member of an EEA citizen (myself). My wife has had an EEA4 permanent residence card since Dec10 (acquired right of permanent residence in Jun10 having been married to myself since Apr05). We are planning to divorce, however my wife wants to apply for British citizenship. Will the divorce have any bearing on on her residency status and hence her ability to naturalise ? I cannot get a definitive answer from any online forum whether the EEA4 becomes invalid upon divorce ? Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Hi thank you for your question.

As she has permanent residence in the UK which is equivalent to Indefinite Leave to Remain, your divorce will not effect her ability to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen.

Permanent Residence can be revoked on the basis of Public Policy, Public Health, or Public Security or if the EEA national and/or non-EEA national family member has been away from the UK for more than 2 consecutive years.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,