How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7366
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my partner is an overstayer and a solicitor advised him that

Customer Question

my partner is an overstayer and a solicitor advised him that he can apply for visa to exercise right of access to our son. I moved back to my parents' house because we were struggling financially after the baby was born but we are still in a relationship. The solicitor asked him to get a copy of my visa so that he can know my status and then assess whether he should apply for right of access or apply for discretionary leave. What is your advice on this? I have my reservations about the whole process since I did not attend the meeting with the solicitor, furthermore, I have read the home office guidelines on applying for right of access and he doesnt meet the criteria. Secondly, I am my parents' dependant and my visa states that. Will this interfere in any way with my visa as a dependant or my parents since we have not informed home office that I have a child yet?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

What visa are you parents on?

When does your visa expire and are you eligible to apply to extend it or to apply for indefinite leave to remain?

What nationality are you?

Do you intend to marry your partner?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My mum has sent an application for ILR under the 10 year rule. My siblings and I came here as her dependant s when she was a student and renewed our visas last year as her post study work visa dependants. we are on residence permits and will need to apply for further leave to remain in february 2013 when our visas expire. My partner and I are engaged and hope to get married, however, this would mean I no longer fit the criteria of being a dependant as I will have formed an independent family unit. We planned to wait until I reach my 10 years and apply for ILR then we could get married then. I have been reading the decision on Chikwamba and Bekeou Betts on in country applications in the event that Article 8 might be breached by requiring the other party to leave the country and applyfor entry clearance. Is this applicable to us? I am Kenyan.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

What sort of documentary evidence do you have that he has been actively involved in the child's upbringing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
none. Will this process interfere with my visa renewal or my siblings as my mother's dependants next year? I would not want anything that would jeopardise their applications including mine and my son's.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Very quick meeting I will be able to answer for you in ten minutes..

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.