How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7505
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in 1968 in Changi

This answer was rated:

I was born in 1968 in Changi, Singapore to a father serving in the RAF (mother was there too, obviously!) The birth was registered with all the correct British authorities and the family returned to the UK soon afterwards. I grew up in the UK and have never held any other nationality.
Do I have full rights as "British otherwise than descent" or the more limited "British by Descent."?
It's important as I now live abroad, am married with a child and wish to apply for citizenship for the child.
Advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your question.

Was your father himself British by birth, having been born in the UK to UK born parents?

Kind regards,


T_Graham12 :


T_Graham12 :

Thanks for your question.

T_Graham12 :

Was your father himself British by birth, having been born in the UK to British Citizens?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Tom,

Yes, both my parents are British born and bred (by birth) and their parents too.

Sorry for the delay.

For some reason this has been referred to "customer services/refunds". Do you still require an answer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, please. I had problems getting the deposit in but that seems ok now.

Could you please confirm your child's date of birth and where they were born please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Born 29th November 2011 in Guangdong Province, China. Her mother is Chinese.

Thanks for your reply and patience.

You are a British Citizen otherwise than by descent. Although you were born outside the UK you were born to a parent who was in Crown Service because he was in the RAF. If you father was not in crown service and you were born outside the UK then you only have acquired citizenship by descent. Please refer to s7 in this UKBA guidance booklet for confirmation:-

Your daughter was born outside the UK and I presume that you yourself were not in crown service at the time of her birth. Therefore she is entitled to be registered as a British Citizen by descent. This means, as you are probably aware, that she cannot pass on her own citizenship to such of her children that are themselves born outside the UK.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Tom,
That was pretty much what I'd understood and hoped the answer would be, it's still a great relief to get that confirmed by an expert!

Thanks for the fast replies. An excellent service, especially for those without easy access to English speaking legal advisors.

Hi Matt

No problem. Thanks for your kind accept.

You will have to prove that your father was in Crown service when you come to apply for your daughter's citizenship/passport, but presumably your father will have records or in the alternative you can obtain documentary evicence directly from the RAF I should think.

Good luck.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions