INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Want to apply for a british passport.My wife is british. We

Want to apply for a british passport.My wife is british. We got married in the Uk. 34 years ago.We are still married and live in Durban South Africa. We has to obtain a special marriage licence for this. I am retired. The passport would be for travel, not residence. My wife's mother is on the Isle of White with her sister, brother works for the National Trust in Cornwall.Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If I have provided you with an answer, kindly click ACCEPT.

What Nationality are you?

Do you intend to live in the UK?

Many thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nationality: South African. Do not intend to live there.Yes maybe. My wife has a British passport. When we have traveled to Europe I obtained a shengen visa free from the French embassy because my wife has a British passport.I just want to be able to travel to the UK without a Visa that I have to pay the earth for. I'm certainly not a threat to the UK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

See edited reply.
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

It is not as simple as obtaining a UK Passport.

In order to obtain a UK Passport, you will first need to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain before becoming Naturalised and then subsequently applying for a UK Passport.

Therefore, unless you intent to move to the UK permanently, you will not be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

With family in England we do visit regularly and may have to visit more often in the future. Is it possible to obtain a spousal visa or a cheaper visa rather than having to pay such an enormous sum of money for a multiple re entry visa?
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

I am afraid not. A spouse Visa is only available if you intend to live in the UK Permanently. Otherwise, you will have to apply for a Visitors Visa.

Kind regards,