UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

Hi, I came to the UK in Sept 2007 as a student. I did my

Customer Question

I came to the UK in Sept 2007 as a student. I did my MA here and now doing my PhD. My student visa expires in March 2013. I am about to get married to my girlfriend who is a British citizen. Would it be possible for me to apply for British citizenship after we get married?

My best
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question.

After you get married you will be granted 2 year spouse visa. After the two years you will be able to apply for infinite leave to remain. After a year of obtaining indefinite leave to remain you apply for British citizenship.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly click ACCEPT, if you do not I will not get credited for my time.

Kind regards,
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. If I may ask for more clarifications.

After we get married my visa would change into a two year 'spouse visa'. Then I should wait for two years, apply for indefinite leave to remain, then wait another year before I can apply for a British citizenship, am I right?

What about the four years I spent in the UK since 2007? Would it not be accepted as part of the 'residential qualifying period'?

The reason why I ask about timeframes is about getting a job. I can't be married without a job and wait some years before I can get British citizenship. It is impossible to live here without a job. I am looking for a job in the security sector (it needs security clearance) i.e I need a British citizenship or at least indefinite leave to remain to get such a job.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Yes what you mentioned is correct regarding your route to citizenship.

Your period prior to your marriage would only be considered if you were applying for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of your student visa. As you are now apply to a spouse visa this would not be considered.

I am not sure of the visa requirements attached to a security job,but your spouse visa will give you unlimited access to the job market.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that I apply for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of my student visa?

It the first time I use 'just answer.com". I am so happy with the service. I will definitely click accept and I will leave a positive feedback as well.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Yes you may but only after 10 years of being on a student visa.
I hope this answers your question if so kindly click ACCEPT, if you do not I will not get credited for my time. Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your answer. It is helpful. I clicked on accept already but the website is asking me to add more funds. I have already added £46. Why would I add more?
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification.

Does that mean I still have to wait two years after marriage to apply for ILR? I am getting married on the 16th of June. I hope marriage would enable me to work here so that I can settle down with wife.

Thank you again UKSolicitor JA.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!