Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If I have Scottish grandparents on my mothers side and an English

If I have Scottish grandparents on my mothers side and an English grandmother on my father's side, am I eligible for any kind of Scottish or British passport?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. What nationality are you
2. What gender are you
3. What is your date of birth
4. Where was your father born
5. Where was your mother born
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I am South African, male, born 27 September 1958. My mother was born in South Africa; both her parents came from Edinburgh, Scotland. My father was also born in South Africa. His father was South Africa, his mother from Norfolk, England.

Thanks

Kind regards

Patrick

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX answer in an hour.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. .
UK Citizenship is permitted to descend to persons born outside the UK for only one generation.
So, if your grandparents were born in the UK and had UK citizenship then it would be permitted to descend to your father/mother if they were born outside the UK. This is called Citizenship By Descent. However, because you were also born outside the UK it cannot descend a further generation from your parents to I’m afraid.
If you are from a commonwealth country then you can apply for an Ancestry Visa on the basis of your granparents so that you can come to the UK to work:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/uk-ancestry/
Once you have been here for 5 year you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain so that you have a permanent right to stay in the UK without a visa. 12 months after that you can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen provided you meet the criteria on the following page:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/standardrequirements/
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom