Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i have been granted a permanent residence in united kingdom

i have been granted a permanent residence in united kingdom but i did not know about that for over a year now. i finnally got to find out about that when my employers verify my status here in UK. i have now been dismissed from my duties at work and i dont know what to do at the moment. can you give any advice on what to do next? thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. What questions do you have about your position?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i applied for permanent residence in UK. until about a few weeks ago i was hoping and waiting for descision from the home office. my employers ask me to bring a prove of my legibility in UK. i gave them my home noffice refrence to verify and they did.my employers told me i have been granted apermanenet residence in UK so i should be able to provide to them my documents. unfortunatly, i have not received anything from home office. i rang home office myself to verify and it was confirm but as off now, i have been dismissed from my duties at work and i have not recieved anything from home office. what should i do now? thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

What visa are you on?

Or are you an EEA national?

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
work permit
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, is this a work permit for a Bulgarian/Romanian national or one of the old work permits?

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
am a non EU national
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Okay.

When did you make your application to the UKBA for PR?

Did you send your passport with the application?

How do you know that you have been granted PR? Did you hear from the UKBA or just from your employers?

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i have confirm it from ukba and they have even given me the details and when i was granted
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.
A condition of your permit is that you must update the UKBA of any change in details, such as being dismissed from your employement. It would not be ethical of me to tell you not to tell the UKBA, so I will tell you what may happen if you do tell them and what may happen if you don’t.
If you told them that you have lost your job then they may (depending on the time you lost your job and the time you made the application) reject your application for PR on the basis that you do not have the job which you have been working under your work permit. At the very least you would then have quite a bit on your plate in terms of making arrangements to ensure your continued compliance with the conditions of the permit.
If you do not say anything and you are certain that they have taken the decision to grant you PR and it is simply that they have not returned your passport with the PR stamp then they will ensure now that the passport is stamped with PR because you have successfully evidenced your eligibility. Your passport will then be returned to you with the stamp and you at this point would have an indefinite right to remain in the UK regardless of whether you are employed. Thus, your problem would be solved.
The UKBA are very (VERY) slow at returning applications and dealing with administrative tasks, so it will take a little bit of time before you passport arrives.
You should decide which you would go for, but I think I know they one that most applicants would choose.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good answer Tom. i really appreciate it.the time i made my application to the ukba i was having a valid work permit and as till now my work permit has expired but it did when i was still waiting to hear from the ukba so in that case, what will be my situation at the moment? thanks. FAO TOM
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Your status in the country will be whatever the UKBA has decided after you have sent your application for PR.

If you have been granted PR, then your status is that you will hold PR.

If you have not, then you will still be regarded as being on a work permit.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor