How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11819
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im a MSc student in the UK graduating this year. After

Customer Question

I'm a MSc student in the UK graduating this year. After I finish my studies I'm looking to applying for entrepreneur visa. At the same time I'm in a process of acquiring an existing UK company and becoming its director and shareholder. I would like to know what I have to do in order to be able to use this company for my new visa application. It is also important for me to know about any possible limitations I have in this regards XXXXX XXXXX types of business activities that could make it more difficult for me to get that entrepreneur visa.
I'm looking to get a detailed answer on these 3 questions I posed above.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

You are eligible to switch to the Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa as you are currently in the UK in a student visa category.

The main criteria to be shown is that you have access to £200,000 to invest in the company.

If successful, you will receive 3 years leave to remain after which has you can extend for a further 2 years and apply for indefinite leave after 5 years.

The main limitations are ensuring full compliance with UK taxation and creating at least 2 full time jobs for UK or settled nationals.

Comprehensive guidance is available here:

Hope this helps.Please click Accept

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer is too basic. It spent more time typing that question than this guy spent googling the right UKBA page and copy-pasting it. The very first search query will give the link to the page with the info I got in the answer. My question was more specific and I already had that info I got in a reply as my background before posting question.
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If I have provided you with an answer, kindly click ACCEPT.

I would be grateful if you could answer some questions for me:

1. Has the company already been set up?
2. Have you already invested the required 50k into the company?

Many thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Currently I'm on my student via and I don't think I'm going to switch within next several months (I will need to get a student visa extension later this month). And than I will show the money in the account for investment and everything else that's required. I would just like to find out what I should better avoid doing with this business while my immigration status is still as a student.
So, the answers to your questions would be:
1. The company is over 10 years old and I'm looking to acquiring it within a week (that is my business objective). The deal will be not expensive (less than 50k) but I will be able to show decent investment (200k if required) after.
2. See 1.

Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.



As a student, you should not be setting up a company and therefore, you should not do this until you are able to do so.


However, you are entitled to invest the money to the company (£50k, if in the UK) and should do this prior to making the application for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa.


For now, other than this, you should not do anything.


I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
From what I see there is a conflict between the first and the second sentences. If I'm wrong, please explain in different words.

If you meant that I'm not allowed to work, I can work up to 20 hours a week.

As far as I know there is a 200k minimum investment, not 50. But my question was about limitations with my current student visa. I will have to take care about entrepreneur visa later, for now just don't want to do anything wrong.

If you're not sure about the right answer please opt out from this question.
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.
I am going to be offline this evening.

i will get back to you on this tomorrow.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions