How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Indefinite leave to remain – calculating continuous period

Customer Question

Indefinite leave to remain – calculating continuous period in UK

Can you please let me know if statement for “Caseworkers may count the period” for Applications that fall short of the five year continuous period is always the case. I have 70 days gap between my entry clearance and my start day of living in uk. 29/07-09/10 . Will this make any problem.

Relevant document
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your answer.


Unfortunately UKBA officers are very strict with rules. The UKBA usually allow you to submit your application no more than 28 days prior to you qualifying for the required residential period.


What you would need to do is wait until you meet the residential requirements and then submit an application for indefinite leave to remain.


If however, your leave to remain would have expired by that time, you would need to submit an application for further leave to remain first allowing you to meet the residential requirements (a further 70 days), and then submit an application for indefinite leave to remain thereafter.


I hope I have answered your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT


Kind regards,




UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions