How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13317
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

US Citizen in UK marrying Brazilian Citizen

Resolved Question:

Hi, I'm a US Citizen currently residing in London, UK for work (Tier 2 General Work Visa). I recently proposed to my girlfriend who is a Brazilian citizen, she is here on a tourist visa which will expire in a few months time. Because I'm not a UK citizen nor a "permanent UK resident" can we apply for a fiance/spousal visa for her? What options do we have? I do not want her to be back in Sao Paulo, while I'm in London.  Also I will add, I'm in process of getting my tourist visa to go to Brazil, so based on the complexity of visa process etc... it'll dictate where we get married.
Also, I would like to apply for US immigration visa for her once we marry. Because I'm living abroad in London, can we apply for a green card for her? I'm currently still filing US taxes, have US bank account, etc...however, currently living overseas because of work. Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.

If your fiancee is in the UK on a 6 month visitors visa then she cannot apply in the UK for a fiancee visa. She must leave the country and apply for a fiancee visa or appply to come as a spouse after you are married. It makes little difference in the sense that the things you have to establish for UKBA are the same for either application.I.e. that the reationhip is genuine that you will live together after the marriage and can support yourselves without recourse to UK public funds etc.


As to the US you will need to check with an US immigration lawyer but I believe you can apply for a green card after you are married.


I am currently travelling so it may be a little time (6 or 8 hours) before I can respond to any supplemental questions



Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Whats the estimated time frame in getting the spousal visa approved?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Processing times vary depending upon the country in which the application is made. Generally the performance benchmark is 90 percent within 3 weeks but there are no guarantees
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13317
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience