INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hi, My sister who is a 4 year student of her 5th year University

My sister who is a 4 year student of her 5th year University in Russia has applied for for the UK interns-hip for 3 weeks in summer and got accepted. She is a non EU citizen wishing to undertake a non paid or maybe paid intern ship. The company can provide all the necessary documents like the confirmation of her intern ship acceptance etc but is not willing to pay for any of her visa applications. Can you please advise what type of a visa she should apply to in the Moscow UK Embassy?
Many thanks
Dinara
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If I have provided you with an answer, kindly click ACCEPT.

Based on the very limited information you have provided above, it seems that your sister will need to apply for a Tier 2 (General) Visa at the UK Embassy in Moscow.

Further details of the type of visa can be found at the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/tier2/general/

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear INC,
I have had a quick look and it seems like this type of a visa is designed for the skilled workers, she is not a skilled worker, she wants to get skills in the UK.
Plus as part of this application she is required to get a certificate of sponsorship, what is it? This company is not going to provide it, sounds a bit complicated for the company. They do not want to deal with any visas for her and the less hassle, the better.
What more information you need about the status of my sister so that you could advise me on the most appropriate route of coming to the UK for a 3 weeks internships.
Maybe she should refuse to be paid for this intership in order to make it easier for her?
I would love to accept your answer but I need to be 100% sure we are applying for the right visa as she needs to travel quite far to Moscow in order to do it.
Many thanks
Dinara
Expert:  INC replied 2 years ago.

Can you provide further details of the Internship?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My sister is 20 years old, has been to the UK on a tourist visa twice.
The international renowned IT company would like to invite her for a 3 week interns-hip (full working day) in the HR department where she plans to learn new skills, be in the office, meet new people, get exposed to their personal files and help with any HR related matters for these 3 weeks in July. HR is not aware of what visa she needs to obtain in Russia to be able to pursue this internship. If it is paid or non paid internship, it has not been decided, but whichever is easiest for the visa purpsoe will be our option. the most important thing is that she is able to pursue this internship.
Many thanks
Dinara
Expert:  INC replied 2 years ago.

Based on the information you have provided above, the only type of Visa that your sister can apply for is a Tier 2 general.

If she is working in the UK, she will need to be sponsored by an employer whom has a UKBA Sponsors Licence.

If they do not have this, they will not be able to Sponsor her.

The only alternative category of Visa she can apply for is a Student Visa, however, this will not allow her to undertake any work whilst she is in the UK.

The UKBA recently removes some categories of Visa and as a result, it has now become more difficult to travel to the UK unless you are granted a Visa in a specific category.

I have also sought a second opinion from a colleague who has suggested that the only category of Visa, based on the information you have provided above, would be a Tier 2 General.

Kind regards,

INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks,INC.
can you please just clarify one more thing, what does it mean?
Plus as part of this application she is required to get a certificate of sponsorship, what is it?
Expert:  INC replied 2 years ago.

What does what mean?

A Certificate of Sponsorship is a document provided by the employer stating that they will Sponsor her. The document is in an approved form.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you so much
Expert:  INC replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.