Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a Canadian citizen wanting to immigrate to Scotland. I

I am a Canadian citizen wanting to immigrate to Scotland. I hold tickets in the Non Destructive testing field which got from a school in the UK. How difficult is it to immigrate to Scotland at this time for a person from a commonwealth country?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. What do you mean by “tickets in the Non Destructive testing field which got from a school in the UK”?
2. Do you have any British Ancestry
3. Are you in a relationship with a UK national, person holding indefinite leave to remain in the UK or an European Economic Area national
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did my studies for my Ultrasonic and Magnetic particle level 2 in Rotherham England so my qualifications are specific for the UK.

I do not have any British ancestory.

I am in a relationship with a European Economic Area National and we have a child together. She holds a National Insurance Number for the UK.

Kind Regards,

Randal

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi Randal,

Do you propose to migrate to the UK with your partner?

Would she work/study or what else would she do once here?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes we do plan to migrate with my partner and son. She does intend to work in the UK.

Kind Regards,

Randal

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi Randal,

Thanks for your reply. That's great, it means it's easy.

As the non-EEA spouse of an EEA member state national you will have to apply for and obtain an EEA family permit from the UKBA in order to come to the UK with her to work. You will need to obtain it before you can travel and must submit the appropriate documentation to the UK embassy closest to her:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/

Once you have come to the UK on the family permit you will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms your right of residence in the UK on the basis of your marriag:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-family/applying/

It will either take the form of an endorsement in your passport or as a separate immigration status documents confirming your right to reside here for 5 years.

At the end of this time you will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if you wish and have not spent significant time outside the UK. Once you have this you can naturalise as a UK citizen if you wish and meet the following criteria on this page:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/standardrequirements/

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom