Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Applying for UK Citizenship

Customer Question

Hello, I was born in the UK in 1984. My parents were students and married at the time of my birth. They also already had my two older siblings who currently have their UK citizenship. I understand that due to the fact that I was born after Dec 31 1983, I don't qualify for automatic citizenship. My family and I left UK when I was about 2 years old but I will like to apply for a UK passport. I will like to know how to go about applying for a UK passport. I understand I might qualify as a citizen if I can provide Birth Certificate (which I have), proof my parents were married at the time of my birth and also proof that they were legally settled. Are these all that are required? What proof do I provide to show they were legally settled at the time? Can I apply from outside the UK since I currently don't live in the UK? Also, how long is the process from the time I submit an application? Thanks!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. In order for you to be entitled to British Citizenship either one of you parents had to be settled in the Uk or be a British citizen at the time of your birth. If your parents were students then it is highly unlikely they had settled status as generally under the rules at that time students were expected to leave at the end of their studies. You need to show that one of your parents had indefinite leave to remain in the UK at the time of your birth. If that is the case then you will need to produce a copy of that parents passport with the relevant stamp from the Uk home office.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I looked at my dad's passport and there is a stamp that reads "Leave to remain".
Can you tell me what that means? Is it different from Indefinite Leave to Remain?
Indefinite leave to remain means what it says I.e. there is no time limit on the leave. Everyone admitted to the uk has leave to remain but if it is for a limited period or subject to conditions then it is not ILR which is what one is granted on settlement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. I will re-check their passports and let you know if I have any other questions.
Ok fine come back to me. If you copy the stamp and send it through I may be able to tell you more
Hi we're you able to check Your parents leave to remain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I will this weekend and get back with you. I actually want to get a snapshot of the passport stamp.
that is fine and I am happy to assist you further but please press accept so I am credited for my time