How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13255
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Applying for UK Citizenship

Customer Question

Hello, I was born in the UK in 1984. My parents were students and married at the time of my birth. They also already had my two older siblings who currently have their UK citizenship. I understand that due to the fact that I was born after Dec 31 1983, I don't qualify for automatic citizenship. My family and I left UK when I was about 2 years old but I will like to apply for a UK passport. I will like to know how to go about applying for a UK passport. I understand I might qualify as a citizen if I can provide Birth Certificate (which I have), proof my parents were married at the time of my birth and also proof that they were legally settled. Are these all that are required? What proof do I provide to show they were legally settled at the time? Can I apply from outside the UK since I currently don't live in the UK? Also, how long is the process from the time I submit an application? Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. In order for you to be entitled to British Citizenship either one of you parents had to be settled in the Uk or be a British citizen at the time of your birth. If your parents were students then it is highly unlikely they had settled status as generally under the rules at that time students were expected to leave at the end of their studies. You need to show that one of your parents had indefinite leave to remain in the UK at the time of your birth. If that is the case then you will need to produce a copy of that parents passport with the relevant stamp from the Uk home office.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I looked at my dad's passport and there is a stamp that reads "Leave to remain".
Can you tell me what that means? Is it different from Indefinite Leave to Remain?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Indefinite leave to remain means what it says I.e. there is no time limit on the leave. Everyone admitted to the uk has leave to remain but if it is for a limited period or subject to conditions then it is not ILR which is what one is granted on settlement.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13255
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I will re-check their passports and let you know if I have any other questions.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Ok fine come back to me. If you copy the stamp and send it through I may be able to tell you more
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Hi we're you able to check Your parents leave to remain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I will this weekend and get back with you. I actually want to get a snapshot of the passport stamp.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
that is fine and I am happy to assist you further but please press accept so I am credited for my time

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience