How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

RA cdc

Customer Question

how are you all. I have got an issue that's been worrying and still is. I am a zimbabwean national who migrated to the U.K in 2002. I have stayed here all this time but at some point between August 2004 and june 2009 didn't have a visa. I was then issued a descretionary leave to ramain in june. However this type of stay didn't come with any notification of entitlements. I enrolled for a cours at a university and wasn't granted a tuition fee loan from SLC England. I have been paying my fees but it's becoming tough for me especially with the increasing course work. I have very limited time for studying as I have to work as well so I can foot the bills as well as fees. I don' know if there is any door that i need to knock to have my dilema sorted or at least halfed. pliz any help from anyone is welcome I am in dire need. thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues. Could you please give fuether details about your course, which college/university, are you paying home fees?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Leicester. I am about to come to the completion of my first year and the university itself considered me a home student based on the fact that I have been resident in the U.K. and have a U.K. Btech National Diploma attained at Thurrock and Basildon College in 2008. However to access tuition fee loan from the gorvenment has proved hard and at the moment am having to work to pay for education.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

I think the issue has arisen due to a change of the law in 2011 which removed the rights of applicants with discretionary leave to remain to apply for student funding, see paragraph 83 on page 25 of this document:

See here for more details about people with discretionary leave:

You should try and see if you are able to obtain any scholarship, bursary or maintanence grant.

Hope this helps. Please click Accept
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is the same thing that is bothering me all the time. You have just given me the same information as I was given when i applied for university funding. My question is what is being said so far is just how the system runs but cant there be descretions for every case as situations are different and I feel every case need to be judged with its own merits instead of just passing a collective judgement.

why is it that there is/are so much differences in society? Why are other people deprived of the same privilages that orthers so cherish very much? Don't we talk about fair access to education for all especially if one has demonstrated that they are capable of and are willing and commited to undertake such a disciplined career. why deprive them where is the Investor In people. there might be certain criterias to be met but end of the day we all form one society and one that seeks progression in the right way should be given a chance or a little help its what makes the difference and bond people together. I have been paying N.I contributions and pay as you earn but what for, don't get any help from anyone or just an outcast

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

You should try and fight your case on the basis that you were issued Discretionary leave to remain in 2009 before the 2011 changes and as such you should qualify for student funding on the basis of the rules applicable in 2009.

Hope this helps. I am afraid I have nothing other to add and can only advise on the law, however unjust it may be. Please click Accept

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.