Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.

FAO Tom Does an EEA (Irish) passport holder need to apply

Does an EEA (Irish) passport holder need to apply for an EEA2 when in the UK for possibe residence (not sure how long they may remain)? Are there UK laws different from the EU laws that apply to Irish Citizens in the UK ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 4 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : As a European national, you are automatically entitled to live and work in the UK under the Free Movement directive of EU law. This governs UK law so there is no difference in this respect.
Awan-Legal : You do not have to apply for an EEA 2 residence card which is valid for 5 years. It is optional and simply confirms your right of residence if you are living and working in the UK. After the 5 years you can apply for permanent residence for practical reasons but again this right is optional.
Awan-Legal : You can remain in the UK for as long as you wish if you are working in the uk.
Awan-Legal : I hope that helps. Please click accept on my answer and let me know if you have any further questions arising from the above.