How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

employment law Operated small business who has employed oversea

Resolved Question:

employment law
Operated small business who has employed oversea students(Chinese) which accoding to their visa can work 20hours during term time.
Heard that from 6th April onwards, this has been revoked and basically, cannot employ students anymore. Is it true?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
The length of time a student can work depends upon the nature of their course and when they came. The main change actually took place in July 2011.

Broadly if a students are studying for a degree course or above i.e. so bachelors degree or post graduate degree at an NQF level 6 or above approved institution (effectively a university) then they can work for up to 20 hours but those that are on courses below that ( non degree courses or diplomas or at non approved schools) can only work for 10 hours. It would normally say what they can do on their visa but given the very heavy fines for employing people against the rules you should check carefully and make sure you see a copy of the passport stamp.

Students who started before July 2011 are restricted in a similar way but only by the type of course and are allowed 20 hours even on foundation courses. there is no specific requirement for the level on institution.

Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions