UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert

My name isXXXXX; I was born in the British colony

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX; I was born in the British colony of Kenya in 1933, and have always held a British passport. My son, who was born in (then) Rhodesia, which was also a British protectorate in 1961, also holds a British passport.
I have 3 grand children who were born in Zimbabwe and only hold that country's passport at present. I s it possible for them to obtain British passports? Their grand father was also British and was born in Kent.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

How old are your grandchildren and where are they currently? What is their mother's nationality and where was she born?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The boy is 10yrs old
Two girls of 19 and 17 respectively.

They are in school and University in Cape Town living with their parents.Their is also an older boy of 21 who is at University, but he was born in South Africa and holds a S.A. passport; his situation is not so dire. regards XXXXX XXXXX it would be appreciated if he could be included in the request.
Any information on their mother- nationality, where born?

The older boy, what is his parents' nationality?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mother was also born in Zimbabwe as i have said, their father is British. He renounced his zimbabwe nationality by birth, and anyway, it is not recognised there now.

the older boy has the same parents as the other three
Thank you.

The children would not be entitled to British Citizenship as their parents were not British by birth (in the case of the father, he is British by descent).

The children who are 17 and over may apply for a UK Ancestry Visa if they wish to live and work in the UK. After living in the UK for 5 years, they would qualify for settlement in the UK and subsequently British Citizenship after living in the UK for a year after becoming permanent residents, see here:

The child under 10 can qualify for a UK dependent visa through his father.

Hope this helps. Please click Accept
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have a friend here who is Britidh born and she was able to get her grand daughter a british passport, which she said was given throught the maternal side. why is my request not satisfactory?
I am afraid I can only advise on the law and do not know your friend's circumstances and how she got her granddaughter a British passport.

I have already advised on you on the law as it stands.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jambo I asked you another question which does not seem to have gone through. Why has a friend of mine in the same circumstances, obtained a passport for her grand daughter which she said was given through the maternal line.? Sorry again for the delay
Hello again,

I am afraid I do not know how her granddaughter qualified for British Citizenship, perhaps your friend may give you further details?