Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

my nephew was born in the UK in 1993 to British parents. he

my nephew was born in the UK in 1993 to British parents. he has a British passport and British Citizenship. In April 2007 he moved to the USA with his mother and returned to the UK in August 2011. Can you please advise on his UK residency status as this keeps cropping up when he's trying to get work.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

His right to be in the UK and to work in the UK is determined in this case by his British Citizenship. As he has a UK passport he is a British Citizen and therefore has the same rights as any other UK citizen.

His passport is proof of his UK citizenship. Residency (ie. Indefinite leave to remain) is only relevant to persons who are not UK citizens.

If he is having problems with potential employers then I would suggest this is more down to their lack of knowledge of the immigration rules, but some very basic research would reveal that there is no restriction on his right to work due to his passport.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,