UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert

I have an ILR-related question. I am a post-doctoral researcher,

I have an ILR-related question.

I am a post-doctoral researcher, a profession which requires working internationally (especially due to the current economic situation, it is hard to get academic positions within the UK in my field). Currently I reside in Sweden, working as a post-doc and this position will last for 2 years. During this period I have visited UK several times to meet my friends, but these were short visits and I do not own a house there. Before I obtained my ILR, I lived in the UK for 14 years (from GCSE to my first post-doc).

Because of my absence, I fear that my ILR might get revoked.
I am thinking of applying to jobs in the UK again, but for this I need to tell them if I have the ILR.
Because of the nature of the job (post-doc), it is also likely that I will have to live abroad again in the future.

Is there a way for me to check my status of ILR (if it has not expired, or has expired), so that I can state in my application that I do not need to apply for the work permit?
If my ILR has expired, will it be hard to re-apply under my circumstances?

Thank you for your time in advance.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

As long as you are not out of the UK for more than 2 years, your ILR will remain valid. If your main home is in the UK and you intend to live in the UK permanently, you will be fine.

You cannot check your ILR status anywhere I am afraid.

Hope this helps. Please click on Accept
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, but I could not learn anything more than the information that is available online; I feel the answer is not specific to my situation (but perhaps because I valued it as the lowest option that was available)...
There is not much information to add than what I have posted. The UK Border Agency has discretion in these types of matters and they may revoke your ILR or they may not.

I personally know people who visit the UK every 2 years just to retain their ILR status although they are settled abroad, and they have got away with it, whereas others have had their ILR revoked and had to re-apply/appeal to get it back.

The rules allow you to regain your ILR as a returning resident if you have been away for more than 2 years:

Hope this clarifies. Please click Accept