How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Knox Your Own Question
John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience:  solicitor with 8 years experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
John Knox is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

British naturalization

This answer was rated:

I'm going to apply for British naturalization soon.Briefly, I was self employed and owned limited company since 2006 until 20.09.2010 and my friend has taken over my limited company with a stock of my shop, he has also taken the all outstanding taxes on his name as a director. Frankly I wasn't able to make regular tax and National Insurance contributions payments on my account.However I've been on JSA Since 22.02.2011. My questions are as fallow, 1-Can I still apply for naturalization? 2-If not, do I need to clear all taxes which are due? 3-If I don't clear it up and apply for naturalization, is it definite that home office will check weather I paid tax and National Insurance contributions? 4-If I get refused can I apply for it again once owned taxes are cleared? 5-Even-though my friend has taken over the company with the outstanding taxes am I still responsible for the previous unpaid taxes? Many Thanks

I will do my best to help you with this.

Do you definitely qualify for naturalization? How long have you been settled here/are you married to a British citizen etc?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have you had chance to have a look into my question ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replied your questions but I think there is a problem in the website.
Yes I do quality since 10.09.2011.I have been in the UK since 22.02.2002 first I was a student, in 2006 I applied for business visa under Ankara Agreement as a self employed person.I have been in the UK almost 10 years.
I m not married to a British citizen.
Many thanks
OK, well as you have the length of stay and residency requirements to be able to apply for citizenship, the position with your former business will not affect your application. You are entitled to be naturalized.

Remember that the company you ran has its own legal personality which means it is a person in the eyes of the law. That means that the taxes and debts owed are those of the company, they are not yours. So, they will have no bearing on your application for citizenship and will not prevent you being successful. However, if there are taxes/NICs which should have been paid in respect of your employment by the company, that is different. You need to be able to show that those have been paid and send supporting evidence with your naturalization application, which you send on form AN.

If the taxes etc have not been paid, you need to make sure everything is sorted out and paid up to date before you make your app.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I talked to HMRC today they said there is no unpaid tax once I gave my NI number, strangely I don't think I made any payment towards to taxes/NIC while I was a director in the company.And the last thing is that bugging me, do I need to show any documents to Home office as I was self-employed last 5 years -apart from last one year I've been on JSA.- or just say that I'm unemployed last one year.


You do not need any docs to evidence the self-employed business, just need to tell them that that is what you were doing, tell them about the business etc. The thing you do need in support is the tax docs - your most recent self assessment tax return.
John Knox, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience: solicitor with 8 years experience
John Knox and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.