UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
62162956

Dear Sir/Madam Im an overseas student, ive been in the uk

Dear Sir/Madam
I'm an overseas student, ive been in the uk since may 2005, i left the county more than once, but not more than the allowed period, i still have my visa valid,my daughter was born in Edinburgh she left the county for 4 weeks when she was 4 month( she is back to UK now). my question is can i or my daughter apply for a citizenship or settlement ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

You would only qualify for settlement in the UK after having lawfully spent 10 years in the UK on a student visa under the long residence rules: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/modernised/other-categories/long-residence.pdf?view=Binary

Once you get ILR, you may apply to register your daughter as a British Citizen.

Alternatively, your daughter may qualify for British Citizenship in her own right after living in the UK for the first 10 years of her life.

Hope this helps. Please click on Accept
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello again,

regarding to the previous talk, I still have some questions, as you said before if i spend 10 years lawfully in the UK i can get the settlement.However, I'm wondering when it will last ? once i get the settlement when can i apply for the citizenship?

I'm considering to buy flat in Edinburgh will it give me the settlement? and if i got the settlement after buying the flat when can i apply for the citizenship ?

if i graduate from university after living 8 years in the UK plus the 2 years post graduate work permit which is sum of 10, would the post graduate work permit counted ?

Best Regards
Rakan
Hello again,

Yes, if you have 10 years continous lawful residence in the UK in any visa category, you should normally qualify for settlement (ILR), so 8 (student) and 2 (PSW) will equal 10 which means you qualify.

You can apply for UK citizenship 1 year after obtaining settlement.

You cannot obtain settlement by purchasing a property I am afraid.

Hope this clarifies.