How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father in law wants to visit England. He is an afghan national

This answer was rated:

My father in law wants to visit England. He is an afghan national who was granted refugee status in India where he now lives with my mother in law and their 6 children; two of his sons have got indefinite leave to remain in the UK (one of them being my husband).
Will this be a complicated or straight forward procedure and how would I go about applying for a visa? I would also like to know approximately how long the process takes and as he is illiterate, would it be possible for me to make the application on his behalf? if so, how would I do this? Any advice and information would be appreciated.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. How old is he
2. Does he rely on financial contributions from his son and, if so, does he mainly rely on these in order to meet his reasonable living expenses
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.

1. He is in his late 60s.

2. My husband sends his father money from time to time but his father has his own import/export business which has been running successfully for several years; we have been helping out more regularly now that he has fallen ill and can not work as much as he used to.

I will answer in an hour or so.



Thanks for your reply.

I assume that he wishes to come simply for a visit, which means that he will stay for no longer than 6 months before returning and shall not seek a permanent stay here. IN these circumstances, he will need to apply for a visitor’s visa.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow, is that you need to show that:-
• You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
• You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

He has to try and show them that he has continuing obligations in India which will continue after the visit and therefore convince he has a job (if he does, or evidence of th business that he owns which will continue to be run as such following his return from the UK), return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property, bank statements showing the money he has available.

If his sons are to assist his during this intended stay you should ask them to go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which they state the terms of the visit, that he is to return at the end of it, , that they shall accommodate him and pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that he will not need to access public funds.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

If he applies via Delhi the waiting times for a visitor’s visa are currently as follows:-

Visits Visas 2 days 3 days 5 days 10 days 15 days 40 days 60 days 90 days 120 days Total decisions made
General Visit (6 months or less) 46% 61% 80% 97% 98% 100% 100% 100% 100% 694

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions