How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im Algerian citizen, resident in United Arab Emirates. Im

Resolved Question:

I'm Algerian citizen, resident in United Arab Emirates.
I'm interested in applying for either UK Tier 1 Entrepreneur or Investor programs.
Can you please advise the differences between the two schemes, where can I apply (UK or UAE) and what are the processing times?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Whta funds do you have available for this proposed venture

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
More than 1 million GBP.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

To be an entrepreneur you must have above £200, 000.00 for investment but you must also meet the English language requirements by taking the test and proving to the UKBA that you and your dependents can support each other without the need to access public funds.

To be an investor you must have £1m of your own money to invest, or £2m in personal assets with a loan of £1m for investment. Investor settlement after 2, 3 or 5 years depending upon the level of investment/personal assets:-

Therefore, the criteria is easier to meet (if you have the funds) in respect of the investor visa because you do not have to take the English language test or prove that you can support eachother. Obviously though, you have to invest much much more.

Both visas are initially granted for 3 years 4 months and you can extend both as well. Similaly you can bring dependents on both.

If you are applying from the UAE then you will have to apply to to the UKBA application centre either in Abu Dhabi or Dubai:-

The specific processing times based on previous performance are unavailable from the website at the moment, but they do state the following:-
• 90 per cent of non-settlement applications within 3 weeks, 98 per cent within 6 weeks and 100 per cent within 12 weeks of the application date

The better prepared/drafted your application is the quicker it will be processed though, this is one of the reasons you should instruct a solicitor

I would strongly advise that you instruct an immigration solicitor in the UK to make the application for you so that it is approved on initial application, rather than having to appeal potentially.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You didn't specify whether being a UAE resident I have to apply in Dubai or is it also possible to apply directly in UK using a sollicitor, if yes are the processing time different in UK than in Dubai ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, you would not be able to make the application in the UK because you must first have leave to remain in the UK under another category other than a visitor's visa. You would have to make the application from where you are, but this does not mean you cannot instruct a UK solicitor who can prepare the application on your behalf and then send this to you so that you can submit it from where you are.

I should also state that if you are applying from the UAE you will also have to prove that you have leave to remain there (ie. that you are not in breach of the UAE immigration rules, which I assume you are not).

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.