Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Im Algerian citizen, resident in United Arab Emirates. Im

I'm Algerian citizen, resident in United Arab Emirates.
I'm interested in applying for either UK Tier 1 Entrepreneur or Investor programs.
Can you please advise the differences between the two schemes, where can I apply (UK or UAE) and what are the processing times?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Whta funds do you have available for this proposed venture

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
More than 1 million GBP.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

To be an entrepreneur you must have above £200, 000.00 for investment but you must also meet the English language requirements by taking the test and proving to the UKBA that you and your dependents can support each other without the need to access public funds.

To be an investor you must have £1m of your own money to invest, or £2m in personal assets with a loan of £1m for investment. Investor settlement after 2, 3 or 5 years depending upon the level of investment/personal assets:-

Therefore, the criteria is easier to meet (if you have the funds) in respect of the investor visa because you do not have to take the English language test or prove that you can support eachother. Obviously though, you have to invest much much more.

Both visas are initially granted for 3 years 4 months and you can extend both as well. Similaly you can bring dependents on both.

If you are applying from the UAE then you will have to apply to to the UKBA application centre either in Abu Dhabi or Dubai:-

The specific processing times based on previous performance are unavailable from the website at the moment, but they do state the following:-
• 90 per cent of non-settlement applications within 3 weeks, 98 per cent within 6 weeks and 100 per cent within 12 weeks of the application date

The better prepared/drafted your application is the quicker it will be processed though, this is one of the reasons you should instruct a solicitor

I would strongly advise that you instruct an immigration solicitor in the UK to make the application for you so that it is approved on initial application, rather than having to appeal potentially.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You didn't specify whether being a UAE resident I have to apply in Dubai or is it also possible to apply directly in UK using a sollicitor, if yes are the processing time different in UK than in Dubai ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, you would not be able to make the application in the UK because you must first have leave to remain in the UK under another category other than a visitor's visa. You would have to make the application from where you are, but this does not mean you cannot instruct a UK solicitor who can prepare the application on your behalf and then send this to you so that you can submit it from where you are.

I should also state that if you are applying from the UAE you will also have to prove that you have leave to remain there (ie. that you are not in breach of the UAE immigration rules, which I assume you are not).

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,