Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have completed form VAF-4A (Nov 2011) to apply for a UK settlement

I have completed form VAF-4A (Nov 2011) to apply for a UK settlement visa for my adopted daughter. She is currently in Nigeria.

We have been told by the immigration consultants who check the documents that she is required to complete the UK language test, she was born on the 1st August 1994 and is 17 years old?, and the basis of the settlement is a child joining her adopted parents.

(Part 8.1 on the Form, 8.11, 8.1.2, 8.1.3.)

I have e-mailed the Abuju Immigration consultants help deck, who advised that, as she is under 18 years she is not required to complete the test

So we have a mixed message, further clarification is therefor sought.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Provided she makes the application before she is 18 years old she will not have to take the test. The requirements for settlement as a child are on this page and you will note that there no requirement to take the test:-

you will also see that the following UKBA guidance on the requirement for the test confirms those person that are required to take the test and also that children are not listed and therefore not required:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,