Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I live in the UK. My boyfriend lives in the US. We are looking

I live in the UK. My boyfriend lives in the US. We are looking at the best ways for us to be together and for him to study nursing. (I am already a qualified professional).
He has a US diploma, but nothing else and in order to get in to university in the UK will need with AP classes (US), or to study A'levels in the UK. He can do distance learning at Oxford College for one year (as a UK or international student), and will be ready to apply for university in one year.

As I understand it at the moment, non UK people cannot study nursing UK. My first question is if my boyfriend and I were to get married and for him to be in the UK with me, at what point (or after how long), would he be able to study nursing in the UK?

Second question, if we were to get married, an apply for a marriage visa for him to come to the UK for us to get married, do we will need him to apply for a international student visa as well in order for him to study at college here? (distance learning at Oxford College)

Many thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. If you get married then your boyfriend can apply for a "spouse visa" which will entitle him to come to the UK. Initially he can get 2 years leave to remain and then get indefinite leave . A spouse of a UK citizen is not limited in what he can do here so he could work or study .
However to get the visa you will need to make sure you can meet all the criteria including showing that you can maintain yourselves without recourse to public funds.

You will find all the information you need about the criteria and how to apply here:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Thats helpful to know that a spouse visa will allow him to work or study if we can prove he / I dont need help from the government.

What you didnt answer was if he will be able to study nursing here?

What I dont understand is if under the spouse visa he is considered an international student or UK student? My inital statement is that only UK students can study nursing in the UK. If he is under the spouse UK visa, can he study nursing in the UK?

From an immigration law perspective he can do whatever he wants. He is not limited. I am afraid I have no idea what the rules are to tidy nursing but if he is resident here I cannot see why he would not be allowed to study nursing. Whether the will be accepted as a Uk student for fee paying purposes but probably not until he has been resident here for three years.