How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the UK. My boyfriend lives in the US. We are looking

Resolved Question:

I live in the UK. My boyfriend lives in the US. We are looking at the best ways for us to be together and for him to study nursing. (I am already a qualified professional).
He has a US diploma, but nothing else and in order to get in to university in the UK will need with AP classes (US), or to study A'levels in the UK. He can do distance learning at Oxford College for one year (as a UK or international student), and will be ready to apply for university in one year.

As I understand it at the moment, non UK people cannot study nursing UK. My first question is if my boyfriend and I were to get married and for him to be in the UK with me, at what point (or after how long), would he be able to study nursing in the UK?

Second question, if we were to get married, an apply for a marriage visa for him to come to the UK for us to get married, do we will need him to apply for a international student visa as well in order for him to study at college here? (distance learning at Oxford College)

Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. If you get married then your boyfriend can apply for a "spouse visa" which will entitle him to come to the UK. Initially he can get 2 years leave to remain and then get indefinite leave . A spouse of a UK citizen is not limited in what he can do here so he could work or study .
However to get the visa you will need to make sure you can meet all the criteria including showing that you can maintain yourselves without recourse to public funds.

You will find all the information you need about the criteria and how to apply here:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.


Thats helpful to know that a spouse visa will allow him to work or study if we can prove he / I dont need help from the government.


What you didnt answer was if he will be able to study nursing here?


What I dont understand is if under the spouse visa he is considered an international student or UK student? My inital statement is that only UK students can study nursing in the UK. If he is under the spouse UK visa, can he study nursing in the UK?



Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
From an immigration law perspective he can do whatever he wants. He is not limited. I am afraid I have no idea what the rules are to tidy nursing but if he is resident here I cannot see why he would not be allowed to study nursing. Whether the will be accepted as a Uk student for fee paying purposes but probably not until he has been resident here for three years.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.