How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7033
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

t-graham12..i have a permanent residency in the U.S(green card)

Resolved Question:

t-graham12..i have a permanent residency in the U.S(green card) question is if we should apply for her to stay before we come here...if she came with me to England...without the required documentation to stayhow long would she have before she would have to leave...could we apply for it once were there...(we would retain a solicitor)...also how long would that process take???we have a child together proving its not not a scam would be no problem
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question.If she entered the UK on a visitor’s visa as a US citizen then she would only be able to stay for 6 months from the date she entered. She would not be able to apply to stay permanently during this time, because it is a condition of the visitor’s visa that they must leave before expiry and this includes not applying for a permanent stay. UKBA official grant visitor’s visas to US citizens on a discretionary basis, so if you were travelling as a family and your wife simply wished to visit then they may not give her entry to the country if they suspected that she was actually coming to stay permanently.Therefore if you wish to all travel together to the UK (when you do) so that you can settle permanently without anyone having to leave the you MUST apply for a spouses visa (settlement) in the US. There is no way around it. If you can prove that you and your wife have cohabited for a period of 4 years immediately prior to making the application then the UKBA should give you Indefinite Leave to Remain upon determining the application for settlement.How long it takes to determine your application will depend. If the application is excellently drafted with all necessary documentary evidence and it is clearly laid out then it can take only two weeks. If there are issue over your eligibility and the application is not well laid out then it can take two months to get a decision and sometimes more.If you wish for me to provide you with detailed guidance on making an application for a spouse visa so that she can come here permanently please submit a further questions to the board requesting me via my profile and marking your questions “FAO Tom”. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7033
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience