Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello,just hoping you can help me please,i have my girl friend

Hello,just hoping you can help me please,i have my girl friend coming over from Ghana and the immagration officials are saying she needs to have £1900 to £2000,i sourt of understand why they say it,ve my as i have seen the letter,but would love some confirmation about this process please,thankyou for your help Daren
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-1. Have they said she needs this money by letter? Who is the letter from? 2. Does she have a visa for the visit?Kind regards.Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well no they want to see the funds,which had me a bit concerned,i have seen the letter they have given to her,she does have a visa and a return ticket, the letter has ref,no, GHA/0871-10,with date underneath 15/01/12, d.p.code; gha/077697, its stamped on the bottom,with the date,but would like some of your help please
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
So, she has applied for a visitor's visa from the UK embassy where she is. She has received her visa correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh no sorry she is coming from GHANA,THATS WHY I WROTE
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
If she is coming from Ghana then she needs to apply for a Visitors Visa from the United Kingdom Border Agency. She can do this via the British Embassy nearest to her, or online.Has she done this?Is she coming to visit, or to stay permanently?Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom sorry she has her visa from the embassy, she is coming to visit,she has a return ticket home,what would the difference be if she stayed permantley
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.She must return before the expiry of her visa. She cannot apply to stay any longer whilst in the UK. If she then wished to apply to stay permanently with you then you would have to arrange to be married if you have not lived together for a period of two years. If she has obtained her visa from the UKBA then this is fine, but it is at the discretion of the UKBA official whether or not to let her in the country. They almost always let persons holding visitor’s visas in to the country, but they have to retain the right to refuse if they think the person is a risk of an overstay. It is a term of the visitor’s visa that the visitor must have enough monies to support/accommodate themselves during their stay in the UK so that they will not need to access public funds. If she did not meet this criteria then they would not have granted the visitor’s visa, so they must be satisfied that she has enough monies. A visitior is not normally expected to carry their money in cash when they travel, but in case she faces any questions then she should carry up-to-date bank statements showing the money she has available at the time of travel.In addition to the long-version bank statement, iImmiediately before travelling to the Airport she should go to a cash point and print out her balance and keep this on her person so that she can produce it to the officials. If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.If you wish for me to provide you with detailed guidance on making an application for a spouse visa so that she can come here permanently please submit a further questions to the board requesting me via my profile and marking your questions “FAO Tom”. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor