How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7035
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,just hoping you can help me please,i have my girl friend

Resolved Question:

Hello,just hoping you can help me please,i have my girl friend coming over from Ghana and the immagration officials are saying she needs to have £1900 to £2000,i sourt of understand why they say it,ve my as i have seen the letter,but would love some confirmation about this process please,thankyou for your help Daren
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-1. Have they said she needs this money by letter? Who is the letter from? 2. Does she have a visa for the visit?Kind regards.Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well no they want to see the funds,which had me a bit concerned,i have seen the letter they have given to her,she does have a visa and a return ticket, the letter has ref,no, GHA/0871-10,with date underneath 15/01/12, d.p.code; gha/077697, its stamped on the bottom,with the date,but would like some of your help please
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
So, she has applied for a visitor's visa from the UK embassy where she is. She has received her visa correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh no sorry she is coming from GHANA,THATS WHY I WROTE
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
If she is coming from Ghana then she needs to apply for a Visitors Visa from the United Kingdom Border Agency. She can do this via the British Embassy nearest to her, or online.Has she done this?Is she coming to visit, or to stay permanently?Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom sorry she has her visa from the embassy, she is coming to visit,she has a return ticket home,what would the difference be if she stayed permantley
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.She must return before the expiry of her visa. She cannot apply to stay any longer whilst in the UK. If she then wished to apply to stay permanently with you then you would have to arrange to be married if you have not lived together for a period of two years. If she has obtained her visa from the UKBA then this is fine, but it is at the discretion of the UKBA official whether or not to let her in the country. They almost always let persons holding visitor’s visas in to the country, but they have to retain the right to refuse if they think the person is a risk of an overstay. It is a term of the visitor’s visa that the visitor must have enough monies to support/accommodate themselves during their stay in the UK so that they will not need to access public funds. If she did not meet this criteria then they would not have granted the visitor’s visa, so they must be satisfied that she has enough monies. A visitior is not normally expected to carry their money in cash when they travel, but in case she faces any questions then she should carry up-to-date bank statements showing the money she has available at the time of travel.In addition to the long-version bank statement, iImmiediately before travelling to the Airport she should go to a cash point and print out her balance and keep this on her person so that she can produce it to the officials. If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.If you wish for me to provide you with detailed guidance on making an application for a spouse visa so that she can come here permanently please submit a further questions to the board requesting me via my profile and marking your questions “FAO Tom”. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7035
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience