UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert

My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married. She is

My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married. She is a British National and I am a South African National. We BOTH currently reside in South Africa. We plan on getting married IN South Africa. We are planning to move back to the UK at some point as she wants to go home. What visa/visa's will I need to apply for not only within SA but upon arrival in the UK in order to be able to live and work in the UK? What is the complete procedure? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Hello Brian,

As a British Citizen, she would obviously not need any visa for the UK.

Once you get married in SA, you need to apply for a spouse settlement visa from the British High Commission in SA. (You cannot travel to the UK without a visa).

This page explains the procedure and requirements for applying for a spouse visa (which will be issued for 27 months):

Procedure is explained here:

The crucucial requirement is for maintenance. See here:

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have all this information already. There is a section with regards XXXXX XXXXX once abroad (in the UK) at a registrar. Do we have to register in SA and UK?Does this application need to be done within ZA or in the UK? What are the implications of being a ZA national? What procedure will I need to go through once in the UK?
Is this the only visa I need? Please advise if it would be better to consult a visa specialist?
Hello again,

Once you get married in SA, there is no need to marry again in the UK or register yourself in the UK.

This is the only visa you would require and you must apply for the visa in SA. Once you are in the UK, there is no procedure to go through. All you need to do is to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after living in the UK with your wife for 24 months.

You may prepare and lodge the application yourself in SA or you could get a representative to act for you if you so wish.

There are no implications of being an SA national other than to obtain the spouse visa.

It is quite simple actually and not as complicated as it sounds. All you need to do is to apply for the visa using form VAF4. There are detailed guidance notes onhow you need to complete the form.

Visa application centres in SA are here:

Hope this helps. Please click on Accept

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome! thanks so much for your help!
You are most welcome.

Good luck I will close this question now