How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married. She is

Resolved Question:

My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married. She is a British National and I am a South African National. We BOTH currently reside in South Africa. We plan on getting married IN South Africa. We are planning to move back to the UK at some point as she wants to go home. What visa/visa's will I need to apply for not only within SA but upon arrival in the UK in order to be able to live and work in the UK? What is the complete procedure? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Hello Brian,

As a British Citizen, she would obviously not need any visa for the UK.

Once you get married in SA, you need to apply for a spouse settlement visa from the British High Commission in SA. (You cannot travel to the UK without a visa).

This page explains the procedure and requirements for applying for a spouse visa (which will be issued for 27 months):

Procedure is explained here:

The crucucial requirement is for maintenance. See here:

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have all this information already. There is a section with regards XXXXX XXXXX once abroad (in the UK) at a registrar. Do we have to register in SA and UK?Does this application need to be done within ZA or in the UK? What are the implications of being a ZA national? What procedure will I need to go through once in the UK?
Is this the only visa I need? Please advise if it would be better to consult a visa specialist?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

Once you get married in SA, there is no need to marry again in the UK or register yourself in the UK.

This is the only visa you would require and you must apply for the visa in SA. Once you are in the UK, there is no procedure to go through. All you need to do is to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after living in the UK with your wife for 24 months.

You may prepare and lodge the application yourself in SA or you could get a representative to act for you if you so wish.

There are no implications of being an SA national other than to obtain the spouse visa.

It is quite simple actually and not as complicated as it sounds. All you need to do is to apply for the visa using form VAF4. There are detailed guidance notes onhow you need to complete the form.

Visa application centres in SA are here:

Hope this helps. Please click on Accept

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome! thanks so much for your help!
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome.

Good luck I will close this question now

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.