How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you for your reply. Follow up my previous question,

This answer was rated:

Thank you for your reply.

Follow up my previous question, I provide more details of my background.

I have been legally resident in the UK for over 10 years, initially on a student visa and then subsequently through temporary leave to stay through being the spouse of a UK citizen. I have been married for a little over 2 years and have an 18 month old baby who was born in the UK. I am currently unemployed (a house wife) and have been advised that I can apply for ILR either using form SET(M) (Spouse or Civil partner present and settled in the UK) or SET(O) (Long Residence in the UK).

Which of these two forms is, in your opinion, most likely to result in a successful application for ILR?

Please be notice that we may have resource to public funds, i.e. my husband received Child benifit, Child Tax Credit and renting house from local council.

Best regards
Hi Lisa

Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Can you confirm that your switch from a student visa to further leave to remain as the spouse of a UK national
2. Please state how long the further leave to remain granted to you as a spouse was
3. Please confirm how long you have been in a relationship with your husband? I note you have been married for two years.

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


1. I can confirm that I have been leglly leave to remain in the UK since December 2001 as a student and never against the UK laws and rules. Until October 2009 I got marriage, I still hold a vaild student visa until next Februray at that time. Then I applied spouse visa afterwards.


2. I was granted 2 years spouse Leave to Remain visa from February 2010 to February 2012.


3. I met my husband in February 2009. After 6 month, we decided to get marriage. Then I moved to his apartment and start to prepare wedding procedure. In October 2009, we held a wedding in local Registration Office.


Since we have a little baby, we are in tight budget. My husband applied Child benift and Child Tax Credit which we received monthly. He also rent a house from local council under his name therefore we can pay a lower rent in order to minimize expense.


Now I'm facing the problem to apply the Indefinite leave to remain. Hope I can get your helpful advise.


Best regards


Hi Lisa

Thanks for your reply.

You will see that from the following page that the criteria for apply for settlement as the spouse of a UK national is that you must have spent two years in the category of leave to remain as a spouse of a UK national:-

Therefore if you received your leave to remain in February 2010 you will be eligible to apply in February of this year. If you apply before then then your application will be rejected.

You have correctly identified the forms required for each type of application. I would suggest that the evidential burden on a an application as the spouse of a UK national is less than the application based upon long residence rules and I would make an application as the spouse using the form you have identified.

The public funds part of the eligibility criteria is take to mean that no additional funds should have been claimed as a result of you being here. So, the child benefits and tax credits will be okay provided it is confirmed by you both and accepted that the child would be living with his father. The council house is a little more problematic in that the UKBA may (may) seek to claim that this would not have been required had you not been there but I would think that you would be successful in arguing that no further space is require simply because you are there because you stay in the same room as your husband. That the house is in your husband’s name is XXXXX XXXXX in this regard.

You will in any event be able to argue your article 8 rights of family and private life against most objections raise by the UKBA. You should be fine.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.