Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a USA citizen, residing in the UK since 1968. My wife

I am a USA citizen, residing in the UK since 1968. My wife of 37 yrs is native born British citizen. I worked from 1968 to 1974 on offshore pipelay barges for Brown & Root. I Started my own firm in 76 and resided straight thru unitl 1990 in UK baring a few days for holidays each yr. The last several yrs, I have worked outside the UK in the Middle East and West Africa but never for longer than 90 days at a time. I am presently in Abu Dhabi for a 90 day stint. I would like to obtain a British Passport, if I qualify.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question .

In order to meet the residential criteria to naturalise as a UK citizen after having been the spouse of a UK national you have to meet the requirements under the heading "Residential Requirements" on the following page:-

Provided you do have any other absences from the UK within the past three years then you will see that you do meet the criteria under this part of eligiblity and therefore your absences will not prevent you from applying to naturalise assuming you otherwise meet the eligiblity criteria.

IF this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks. I shall check the reference govt page. However, in the above answer you state " provided you do have"-- do you really mean do not have any other absences??

Also, what is the definition of an absence in this instance? I have already stated that I have been working outside the UK for last several yrs but have not been gone for longer than under 90 days at any one time.

I await your kind response. I will release the funds. If I require any further legal advise are you interested in assistaing me?

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

I will be able to reply in an hour or so.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi John,

Yes, I meant " do not have" Sorry.

There is a presumption that any absences from the UK are to be regarded as absences from the UK for these purposes. If you have not spent any more than 90 days in any one year outisde the UK then you will be fine.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards