How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

tier 4 overstay and extensio application

This answer was rated:

hi I am studying in university in the uk under tier 4 general student rules. my course is finishing in may 2012. my wife is also with me under tier 4 rules as my dependant. my wife is pregnant and she has to frequently attend gp and hospital appointments. my visa expired on 1st of january 2012 because i couldnt get the letter from university in time due to christmas and new year holidays and the staff who deals with letter went for holidays 3 days before university closed for break. i have arranged my bank statements for maintenance as a setteled student. now can i and my wife apply for my extension from within the uk? can out overstay casue any problems? and can we still show reduced maintenance funds to show as we couldnt get CAS letter due to christmas and new year holidays? can i get any concession due to my wife as this might me harmful for her or for the baby to do air travel? your guidance will be very helpful for me. thanks



Thanks for your question.


I'm afraid that if you did not have your CAS letter and submitting this before your visa expired then you are an overstayer. Though I appreciate that you were not able to obtain your letter because of the festive break, the UKBA are not under any obligation to give you any flexibility on this. They are permitted under immigration rules to refuse on this basis.


If you apply to extend your visa once you have your CAS letter then you would have to plead that they exercise their discretion and not refuse your visa under the ground of any overstay. You should explain in detail your personal circumstances and difficulties which led to you not acquiring your letter in time.

Their position would be that it was your responsibility to take in to account the festive period and breaks in the administrative staff at the university and request your CAS earlier accordingly. I have to say that this is a reasonable position to take but you may get some luck if you have an understanding immigration officer and your application has not other defects.

If you are unsuccessful and are able to get a doctor's note stating that you wife is not medically able to travel because of her pregnancy then you should be granted further leave to remain until she has had the child and is well enough to travel again. .



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


thanks for reply

I have couple of more questions please sir.

What should I answer for the question in the application form, Have you ever overstayed? as no or yes

becasue if i say yes

firstly can i still show then reduced maintenance funds in my bank account or i have to show high maintenance funds

can i answer as no

becasue i couldnt get letter because of holidays

but as you said that this is my responsibility to get the letter in time, so what do you suggest here please. should i answer yes and still show reduced maintenance funds?

And also if my wife is not fit for travel, do i get tier 4 visa extension and can continue study as well or i will have to apply some other type of visa like FLR(O) on medical basis?



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear T Graham
I have been unable to get the CAS letter as I before they told me they will issue me letter with the remaining fee on it, but not after delaying me a lot altough i paid them another £1500 , they still not issuing me CAS letter, what should I do, as doctor has granted a letter to my wife that she cannot travel as it can be dangerous for her under her current medical condition. What can I do now, as I do not have CAS, and my Tier4 application will be refused, can I and my wife get any further leave to remain on medical grounds and can I still attend my lectures and sit in the exams as it is only 4 months lefts in my studies, and can I still get permission to work, as I need money to survive??
Your answer will be much appreciated.



I will be able to answer tomorrow.


Hi MS,

You can request further leave to remain on the basis of your wife's medical condition but this will be limited to the time by which she will have recovered.

If you cannot get your CAS letter soon to make an application then you can still study and sit your exams if you get further leave to remain on the basis of your wife's condition. This is subject to your university letting you do this under their own internal policy.


If you do not make the application after getting your CAS letter and take/pass your exams then you can make an application for FLR but you will again be relying on the UKBA's discretion.

Kind regards,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.