How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir / Madam, My fiancee was travelling to the UK on an

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir / Madam,
My fiancee was travelling to the UK on an approved 6 month general visitor / holiday visa. Upon arriving in the UK on the 30th December she was detained and subsequently deported back to South Africa because the Immigration Officer didn't believe that she would leave the country on the 4th May on her booked return flight. Although she had travelled to the UK twice previously with work and then left. We are appealing as we speak because we had supplied far in excess of the information required and to be honest had supplied information to the level required of a marriage / fiancee visa to justify the 4 month stay. I have also written formal compliants to various government bodies as I find this appauling and the way in which she was treated. We are now planning to get married in SA and then apply for a marriage visa. As she has been refused entry into the UK under a holiday visa will this affect our marriage visa application? Can the UK Immigration stop a man and wife from being together?. We meet all the criteria, home owner, British citizen, high rate tax payer, no criminal records, can prove that we have been in a relationship for nearly 12 months. What do you think?


Thanks for your question.

The Entry Clearance Officers retain a discretionary right to refuse entry to a person they suspect might overstay, they have to as a matter of public policy I’m afraid. It does strike me as excessive on the facts for them to refuse entry if she had already been granted a visitor’s visa.

In any event a refusal of entry is not a sufficient reason to refuse and application for settlement (ie. spouse visa). Even overstays are not a sufficient reasons for refusal under Immigration Rule 320 provided the UKBA are otherwise convinced that the marriage itself is genuine.

Married couple can avail themselves of their Article 8 (Human) Right to a Family and Private life which is a useful argument, but is more persuasive the longer the couple have been together.

That said, provided you meet the eligibility criteria for settlement and provide the necessary documentary evidence to prove this then you will be fine provided it is laid out in a organised and cogent way. She has not committed a breach of the immigration rules on the facts as you communicated them to me. Because of the relatively short length of the relationship you will have to provide documentation proving that the relationship is genuine, so things like correspondence (eg historic emails between you) and photographs. You should also execute a statement explaining the relationship and it’s relatively short chronology.

The best thing you is to instruct a solicitor to prepare the settlement application on your behalf. They will advise you of your eligibility and prepare an application/covering letter with the supporting documentation in a way that the ECO prefer and thus make the application easier to determine and facilitate the expedient grant of a visa to your wife.

It should cost around £1000-1500+vat for their fees for this.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.