Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

hello and happy new year. i am bound for UK in september

hello and happy new year.

i am bound for UK in september of 2012 to start my 2 year graduate law degree (LLB, (Hons.). my question revolves around uk visa and spent convictions. i was convicted on domestic assault in nov of 2005 and when i checked the uk immigration web site, it was evident that it is a spent conviction and hence does not have to be mentioned in my visa application. this issue went to court in nov of 2005 and i got 14 months probation and some community service. the whole thing was done in jan of 2007. since then this jan of 2012 makes it 5 years since then and hence it is a spent conviction based on uk system of disclosure and accordingly does not have to be mentioned. can i get some help here??

ps. the name of the university where i go to study law is university of gloucestershire. can anyone tell me if this is a good place to study law. also on the UCAS system i applied to four other schools and they are namely, aberteen, leeds, nottingham, and queen mary university of london. are all these schools accredited programs in terms of qualifying law degrees??? Also if any of you were to redo this all again which school would you prefer in terms of program, tuition, and proximity to london??? does it even matter if the school is in london???? please give me as much info as possible.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, which I will gladly help with. Please let me know if your conviction was in the UK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it was in canada
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am canadian
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.
It is correct that offences that would be considered sent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 do not have to be declared on your visa application. If you received probation and/or community service and were at least 18 years of age at the time, the conviction would be considered spent 5 years after the date it was issued. So as long as the application is made 5 years after the date of your conviction, it will not have to be declared.

As to your question on universities, the University of Gloucestershire is ranked 89th out of 95 for law in the country (according to the Guardian). You can access this resource here:

It does not really matter if you do the degree in London or not, all that matters is how you do in it and if you are then lucky to get and pass an interview.

Please press Accept for the advice given so far. I can then provide more detailed advice and guidance if required. I will also answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on the UCAS account i applied to 5 universities and i already have acceptance from gloucestershire. this early acceptance is because i did a phone interview with someone in the faculty and hence the next day i got an email advising me of acceptance. when you mention interview, did you mean this or there is more unexpected interviews??? also my offer is conditions and the only condition associated to it is 3500 pounds which needs to be paid to university to secure my position. i have two degrees already from canada hence that could be the reason they took me in so fast. one more thing about glouctershire is the low tuition rate which is way lower compared to law schools in london. plus i heard domestic tuition is going up this year in england and gloucestershire has really good rates for international students.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.
No, I was referring to an interview when you are seeking a job. In other words, it is not that important whether you studies in London or not as long as you do well in the job interview. Tuition fees have been increasing significantly this year so finding a cheaper place is an important factor to many people these days.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have some more questions?? please answer them as i have never been to uk. i got accepted into the graduate program which is 2 years but when i spoke to gloucestershire, they told me that when people go on to their summer holidays in april of each year, I will have to stay behind until Aug of that year and finish one more semester. In this case I do not have a break in the 2 year law program and it seems like I have to do 3 years as oppose to 2 years because everyone goes off on their summer vacation and i have to stay behind and study from April-Aug each year. this seems like three years to me as oppose to 2 year graduate program. Also more importantly, I dont like essay rather long essay and dissertation and this program at glouctershire has one heavy essay and dissertation at the end of the program. i am more of a course type of person whereby you get assessed via a 2-3 hour mid/final exam half way or at the end of the term. I heard that different universities have different programs and some of them are course based which means less essays and more like final exams that examines you on substance of law and not the grammar. can you give me some feed back. much is appreciated.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I can't comment much on your last question as that is more of an academic issue rather than a legal one. I don't have information about each course that is run by universities and if you need to establish the type of course and assessments they do it is essentially a matter for you to research this and contact each establishment to find out. But essays in law will be inevitable and you would be required to write these in every course.

As to the time spent learning, that is a specific query that needs to be raised with the specific university I am afraid - it very much depends on the type of course offered, I really can't comment on that sorry