Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I was granted a British passport in 2002 having got an indefinite

Customer Question

I was granted a British passport in 2002 having got an indefinite leave to enter in my Ugandan passport. I have tried to renew my passport (one day service) and have been told that I can't because I did not get naturalised in 2002 when I got the first British one. I booked to fly out of the country in two days and if I don't my passport, I won't be able to fly out. I need to know if I needed to be naturalised before I was issued a british passport in 2002 since this is the only reason they are stopping from getting my passport renewed.

Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
I think the reality is that you are not going to resolve this in two days. It makes no sense I am afraid to say that you got a british passport after getting ILR unless you applied for and obtained naturalisation. If you have a passport as a British citizen currently you must have been naturalised or registered to get it. On what basis did you get a Passport as a British Citizen in 2002 if you did not apply for naturalisation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was told upon entry that I could apply for a British passport straight away. I did so and no one querried it. I am very supprised that it is just being picked up now. Can I complain for my lost trip?
I do not understand how you can have been told that you could apply for a British passport or how you were granted one if you were not a british citizen. DId you have another claim to British Citizenship such as a parent born here? Certainly I do not think you have any claim for your lost holiday. If you have neither an ugandan passport or a current British one and have only applied at the last minute then you cannot blame the passport office I am afraid. Sorry