How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

(1). My mother lives with my sister in Pakistan. I want my

Resolved Question:

(1). My mother lives with my sister in Pakistan. I want my mother to come and live with me (as dependent) permanently in UK. She is over 65 years age.
My father died in 2010.
What are options available? What visa do I have to apply for her? How much the visa processing takes? What documents do I have to show to support her case?
I live with my family in UK on ILR (Idefinite Leave to Remain) Visa, and due due to apply for Naturalisation in August 2012.

(2) My sister lives in Pakistan. She is not married. She has done PhD in Sociology, and and working as Associate Professor in Karachi University, for the last 8/9 years. Is there any way she can come to UK legally and work here? She is 46 year of age.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your queries.

Your mother would need to apply for an elderly dependent visa which would give her indefinite leave to enter the UK.

She needs to meet the following criteria:
  • depend wholly or mainly on you for money;
  • she can and will be maintained and housed adequately, without needing public funds, in accommodation which you own or occupy exclusively; and
  • she has no other close relatives who can support her financially.

See this website which gives details of the documents required, fees (£1814) etc. It is difficult to give an estimate as to how long the visa application would take to process:

Your sister would need to qualify for a visa under the points based system either as a high value migrant or a skilled worker:

Hope this helps. Please click on Accept

UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions