UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
62162956

Can you tell me the ways that my friend can qualify to live

Customer Question

Can you tell me the ways that my friend can qualify to live in the UK? What path would be the least expensive! thank you.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

Your friend needs to do a recognised law degree or have an alternative degree recognised by the UK system (3 years full time)

Then if he has done a law degree he can either do the LPC (Solicitor) or BTPC (Barrister). (1 year full time).

If he has a non UK law degree he needs to do a conversion course before doing the LPC/BTPC (1 year full time)

There then follows a period of training. 1 year for Barrister and 2 years for Solicitor.

Then they are a lawyer.

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi! She is not already a lawyer. If I understand yur response, you are saying the best way is to become a lawyer outside of the UK then ask to be accepted for further education? WHile that would be wonderful, the costs involved would be prohibitive, though it would be wonderful...
Is there another way that you can please suggest?
thank you.
No.

Unless she is a lawyer she must complete the full route to qualification which is stated above.

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do thank yu for your time, however I am confused Unless someone is willing to train to be a barrister or a solicitor, there is no other way to qualify to come live in the UK?
thank you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I will try and assist.

Your friend could enrol on a course with a UK university or college and apply for a tier 4 student visa which would enable him to live in the UK normally for the duration of his course.

The student visa costs £255 and would allow him to work in the UK for certain hours during term time and work full time during vacations.

This website explains the procedure and requirements for qualifying: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/studying/adult-students/

Hope this helps