How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7509
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello, I am illegal immigrant in UK, I am chinese, I was born

Resolved Question:

hello, I am illegal immigrant in UK, I am chinese, I was born in china but my parents immigrated me to Guyana when i was 5 years old, studied and has been living there 9 years legal. when i was 13 my mom and i went back to china for 3 months holiday visits, stayed 3 months in china, On the way back to guyana we switched planes in the UK and we had 2 days visits permits but i didn't know my mom was planning to stay here , I have been studied and live here more than 8 years. I have a boyfriend, He is an american citizen but he was born in UK, can we get married in the uk and go live in the US after we get married?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


There is no longer a requirement to apply for a Certificate of Approval from the UKBA in order to marry. The decision of whether to marry is left entirely to the local registrar.

In most cases provided you can prove your identity, address and put the appropriate notice of your marriage up at your local registry office the registrar will agree to marry you.


In terms of whether you will then be able to immigration to the US you would have to take advice from a US immigration attorney. You have submitted your question to the UK law section and I am a UK lawyer.


You should submit a further additional question to the US law asking for advice on whether you, as an illegal immigrant, would have a prospect of a successful visa application on the basis of your marriage to a US citizen.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions