How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir/Madam I have lived in the UK for 4 years from 2003

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam

I have lived in the UK for 4 years from 2003 -2007 where I got married to a Spanish national and then moved to Spain, however the marriage didn't last. I am still living in Spain, but my current girlfriend of 2 years (a British National) got a job with the House of Commons in Manchester and we need to move there by next September. I hold a South-African passport and I had a 5 year visa from the UK which expired in April this year. We need to move to Manchester for a period of two years and I would like to know how to go about getting a visa for that period of time, I do not qualify for the skilled workers visa as I am an English teacher here in Spain. Could you advise me on this please?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg,



Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Have you cohabited with your girlfriend for two years?
  • 2. Are you still married
  • 3. What visa did you have when you had your 5 year visa (ancestry possibly?)

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


We only moved in together in February this year.

I was seperated from my ex for 3 years,but the divorced was only finalized in January this year.

The visa I held in the UK was as a member of an EU national issued by the Home Office and before that I held a working holiday visa for two years.


Hope this helps.



Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

The difficulty is that in order for you to get a visa on the basis of your relationship with your girlfriend you would have to be considered to be “unmarried partners”. The criteria for this is that you must have been in a relationship akin to marriage immediately before making your application:-
This is interpreted by the UKBA to mean that you should have been cohabiting for a period of two years before making your application. As such, the UKBA would not view your relationship as one that is akin to marriage at the present time.

Unless you are to marry then the only option open to you would be to apply for Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visa after having secured employment with a licensed Tier 2 sponsor employer:-

I assume from what you have said in your original question that this is what you believe you are not eligible for.

If you are not eligible and do not have any UK ancestry (please let me know if you do and I shall advise you of any further options) then the only option I can see would be to marry yout girlfriend (either where you are or in the UK) and then to apply for Settlement on the basis of marriage, or to wait an cohabit as long as you possible can before then applying as an Unmarried Partner without the full two years cohabitation arguing that your relationship should nevertheless be construed as such. This would be pretty sketchy, but if you can show a period of cohabitation from February 2011 to (say) August 2012 then you would have an outside chance of obtaining a visa.

I am very sorry that I do not have better news for you.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Tom,


Thanks for your reply , I don't know if I made it clear that I have been living in Spain for a total of 4 years, does this make a difference to my status as this means I have been living in Europe for a total of 8 years? Could it also help if I have British Nationals who can act as referees and who are able to sponsor me?


If not what you are saying is that the only options left to me are getting married or living with my girlfriend for another year in Spain before applying for a visa and what kind of proof of cohabitation would I have to provide?


Hope to hear from you soon.



Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi Greg,

EEA member states are still sovereign states so you period of residence in one does not afford you additional rights in another. Each residence is taken on it's own.

I'm afraid that sponsorship from individual is not permitted for work visa applications I'm afraid. That's only relevant where one is visiting for a short period (less than 6 months) only.

Even if you lived with your girlfriend until she goes in September 2012 you would still not qualify under the unmarried partner rules - you would have to argue that they exercise their discretion and grant you a visa outside of the rules - a long shot in all honesty.

Cohabtition would be things like a tenancy agreement naming you both, joint utility bills, other pieces of correspondnce addressed to you both over a period of time etc).

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?

If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.

Please click accept. You will appreciate that I cannot work for free



Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

I have answered your question

If you do not click accept I shall consider leaving negative customer feedback which will result in other experts being reluctant to answer future questions you submit to the board. I cannot work for free.

It does not cost you any more money to click accept, it just means I get rewarded for the time I have taken to answer your question

Please click accept. I cannot work for free.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.