privateclientlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a London based lawyer with over 6 years experience especially in Tax, Trusts, Estates, Wills, Probate and Property Law

hi, i am a commonwealth national living the uk on a student

Customer Question

i am a commonwealth national living the uk on a student visa. i want to marry a girl who is a uk citizen. afterwards i intend to apply for PR or citizenship. what are the rules and conditions for that ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  privateclientlaw replied 4 years ago.

This might not be as helpful as you would have hoped but in essence everything that you need to know is here the best that I can do is tell you to read the site as it has all the information that you may need in your particular circumstances - you can then can back with specific questions as to residency requirements or citizenship.

I hope that this helps and of course if there are further questions please do come back.

If this was helpful then please do accept.

Many thanks

Look particularly at the provisions re: citizenship and marriage and the right to be in the U.K and the residency requirements for applications for citizenship which are reduced by marriage. Also look at the suitability test for applicants.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Hello Customer,

As you have not been given a comprehensive answer, I will try and assist:

both of you first need to give notice to marry at your local authority;

once married, you should apply for further leave to remain in the UK using form FLR(M) available from the UKBA website. If approved, you will receive 2 years leave to remain;

at the end of the 2 years, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK using form SET(M) which is also available on the UKBA website.

as soon as you receive ILR, you may apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen on the basis of marriage to a UK citizen if you have been in the UK for 3 years (i.e. at least 1 year on student visa and 2 years on the spouse visa).

I hope this helps
Hello Customer , I was hoping to invite further questions but if you would like to ask anything further then please do -thank you UK Solicitor for your input on my post.