How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am an international student in uk. my visa expired on 31

Resolved Question:

i am an international student in uk. my visa expired on 31 october 2011. i came to uk about two years ago. but within a couple of months of my joining, the college was closed down. after that i didn't join any other college. i've just been travelling around uk sight-seeing and working part-time as a charity fundraiser. can i still enroll one a study program and get my visa extended ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I’m terribly sorry, no – you will not be able to enrol for a new college and then apply to extend your visa.

As a student your visa is granted on the basis that you will remain studying with your sponsor college. If your college loses it’s licence or closes down then the UKBA will grant you a 8 week period of grace within which you may find another college and then apply to update your sponsor college with them.

If you do not update them as to your new college or simply don’t do anything then it is normal practice for the UKBA to curtail your vise.

Unfortunately I would expect that this is what they have done in your case. This would mean that you are technically an overstayer. Overstays are a general ground for refusal in most visa applications and would be in this case so the UKBA would certainly reject your application and retain the application fee.

I’m very sorry I could not have better news for you.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so what can be done about it ? isn't there any way i can continue to stay in uk legally ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

On the assumption that you are now illegal because your visa has been curtailed (which it almost certainly has) there are limited options for you.

A person who has been in the UK illegally for 14 years can apply for ILR, but I could not advise you to aim for this because the rules might change in the interim.

In the event that you were to marry a UK national, person holding ILR or an EEA national who was living here you would be able to leave the UK (subject the the relevant eligibility criteria) and then apply on the basis of your marriage. In this case the overstay would not be a sufficient reason to reject the application for a visa based upon marriage because your Article 8 Right to a family and private life would apply if the marriage is accepted as genuine.

Apart from that, you do not have any options I'm afraid.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.