How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I am a Filipina married 7 years to a British Citizen.

Resolved Question:

Hello. I am a Filipina married 7 years to a British Citizen. We have a 16 month old son who has a British passport. I am currently on a visit C visa to visit family and friends (multiple entry 180 days). We have been living in different countries abroad for the last 7 seven years. We are now in the UK living with my mother-in-law. My husband is looking for a job and we will rent an apartment when he does. I was advised by an advise line that I have to return to the Philippines to apply for an ILR. My question is how long does my husband must have had a job before we can apply? And with bank statements, how far back do they need to be? Roughly how long is the process? i.e. How long would I need to be in the Philippines. We don't like being separated for long periods :( I appreciate your help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You will have to apply for a spouses visa (ie. settlement). You will have to return to Phillipines to do this, you cannot apply for it whilst on a visitor's visa.


The criteria is - in financial terms - is that you and your husband should be able to support and accomodate you without the need to access public funds. It would be easier to do this once your husband has secured work and can demonstrate income.


It is common for applicants to submit 6 months bank statements but 3 months is accepted if it is obvious that you meet hte financial criteria. You can submit your evidence of finance (assets, income) but if you intend to secure work in the UK then you should also submit your CV and job adverts for jobs in the area where you shall both live in order to demostrate that a further income stream will be derived.


The UKBA aims to complete all out of country applications within 6months. The best thing you can do is to instruct a solicitor to prepare the applications for you. There is nothing stopping you going to a solicitor to do this whilst you are in the UK on a visitor's visa.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewared for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.