Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hello. I am a Filipina married 7 years to a British Citizen.

Hello. I am a Filipina married 7 years to a British Citizen. We have a 16 month old son who has a British passport. I am currently on a visit C visa to visit family and friends (multiple entry 180 days). We have been living in different countries abroad for the last 7 seven years. We are now in the UK living with my mother-in-law. My husband is looking for a job and we will rent an apartment when he does. I was advised by an advise line that I have to return to the Philippines to apply for an ILR. My question is how long does my husband must have had a job before we can apply? And with bank statements, how far back do they need to be? Roughly how long is the process? i.e. How long would I need to be in the Philippines. We don't like being separated for long periods :( I appreciate your help.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You will have to apply for a spouses visa (ie. settlement). You will have to return to Phillipines to do this, you cannot apply for it whilst on a visitor's visa.

The criteria is - in financial terms - is that you and your husband should be able to support and accomodate you without the need to access public funds. It would be easier to do this once your husband has secured work and can demonstrate income.

It is common for applicants to submit 6 months bank statements but 3 months is accepted if it is obvious that you meet hte financial criteria. You can submit your evidence of finance (assets, income) but if you intend to secure work in the UK then you should also submit your CV and job adverts for jobs in the area where you shall both live in order to demostrate that a further income stream will be derived.

The UKBA aims to complete all out of country applications within 6months. The best thing you can do is to instruct a solicitor to prepare the applications for you. There is nothing stopping you going to a solicitor to do this whilst you are in the UK on a visitor's visa.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewared for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom