Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I will be entitled for ILR in Uk in March as I would be resident

I will be entitled for ILR in Uk in March as I would be resident (on a work permit) in UK since March 2007. My english fiance and I are planning to get married in January. My question is: When is the earliest possible to apply for UK passport? Do I have to wait one year after receiving the ILR or since I was here in UK for over 3 years when I married a UK citizen, then I woudl be eligible to apply immediately/in January?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

When did you receive your work permit? March 2007?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You will see from the links on the following pages citing both the standard requirements for naturalisation that it is only a requirement that you be free of immigration time restrictions on the day you make your application, as opposed to being free of such restrictions for 12 months:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/

You will similarly see on the requirement for persons married to UK citizens that it is only a requirement that you be married to a UK national, not that you are married to a UK national and have been here on a spouses visa during the previous years. On this basis you should be fine to apply in March 2012 for naturalisation assuming you otherwise meet the criteria because the requirement is simply that you are married to a UK citizen

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom