Awan-Legal
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
60469748

I am a 20-year-old Chinese student studying at UCL, and it

Customer Question

I am a 20-year-old Chinese student studying at UCL, and it is my fifth year in the UK. I am just wondering if I can apply for British citizenship once I have lived in the UK for a consecutive 5 years with a absence of less than 450 days.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal :

Hi

Awan-Legal :

Are you currently on a student visa?

Customer:

yep

Customer:

I have been on the student visa for the past four years

Awan-Legal :

unfortunately, you may only apply for british citizenship after having resided in the UK for five years but out of these five years at least one year must be with an indefinite leave to remain visa

Customer:

I see. I sort of heard about that.

Awan-Legal :

You would have to wait a further five years with an investors visa and then apply for indefinite leave for one year.

Awan-Legal :

I hope that answers your question. If so, please click accept on my answer.

Hi there
I just wanted to clarify my answer. When I was talking about 5 years and one year indefinite leave to remain, this was in relation to British naturalisation - not obtaining indefinite leave to remain as your question was about naturalisation. I also stated that you would need a further 5 years on the investor visa and then indefinite leave for one year. I just wanted to clarify as perhaps my answer was not entirely clear that after a total of ten years long residence (with a valid visa throughout this time) you could apply for indefinite leave to remain. Thanks for the accept and I hope to help you again in the future.