UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert

Hi, Im from Ukraine, married to Englishman. In the beginning

I’m from Ukraine, married to Englishman. In the beginning of next year my spouse visa is expired and I should apply for Settlement. My husband is unemployed for many years (don’t know how many), doesn’t receive any benefits. I have Masters Degree in Finance, but can’t get appropriate job in the UK so work as care and catering assistant (2 jobs, 60+ h/w). I also do AAT studying. Currently I have serious problems with my health and can’t do physical labour anymore. Will I receive Indefinite Leave to Remain if I don’t work? My husband completely refuses to work, he was abusive to me and has criminal record because of this. He put my name on the house deed and wants to re-mortgage it for both our names. His credit rating is poor and he wants to use mine. Please advise what should I do? I want to stay in the UK, get proper job and I don’t want to pay for somebody’s loan for next 25years.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

You should qualify for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) as long as you have not claimed public funds and have supported yourself without accessing public funds.

The fact that you are both unemployed does not matter and should not affect your application as long as you can show that you have savings or are receiving financial assistance from family/friends.

Good luck